Signature Recipe Series: Duck and Black Bean Chili
The second Duck Season here at Rough Creek Lodge is nearly over, which means you’ve probably already had your fill of duck this year! But hold on just a minute before you hang up the rifle and take duck off the menu, because we can bet you’ve never had your catch prepared Rough Creek style.
Duck has always been quite the delectable dish, especially down here in the southern states. This means plenty of people have tried to come up with different ways to serve the bird. However, you have an advantage over the masses. With the help of Chef Gerard and his signature recipes, you don’t have to settle for the ‘usual’. You can turn your average duck dinner into a mouthwatering flavor-packed adventure!
The Recipe is Prepared as Followed:
Rough Creek Lodge & Resort Duck and Black Bean Chili
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Lb Diced Small Duck Thigh or Breast – No Skin
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Garlic
- 1 each Diced Onion
- ½ Cup Diced Red Pepper
- ½ Cup Diced Poblano Pepper
- ½ Cup Died Yellow Pepper
- ¼ Cup Masa Harina for thickening
- ½ Cup Shiner Bock Beer
- 1 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- 1 Cup *Ancho Chile Puree
- 1 Tablespoon Toasted Whole Cumin
- 3 Cups Duck Stock or Chicken Stock
- Kosher Salt to Taste
- Heat oil in large pot
- Add Duck and Sear very well.
- Add garlic, onion and peppers
- Add The Masa, cook 2 -5 minutes until browned
- Add Shiner Bock Beer
- Add cooked black beans
- Add Ancho chile puree and cumin.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Season with Salt and let cook for 15 minutes.
Garnish with Goat Cheese Sour Cream, Scallions & Cilantro
*Ancho chile puree
Place 3-4 (seeded) ancho chilies in hot water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Place in blender with 1 cup of fresh hot water and puree until smooth.