Signature Recipe Series: Grilled Quail | Rough Creek Lodge
With Texas having some of the most prolific lands for hunting, it’s no surprise that hunters from all over the nation end up at our front door. Whether you’re venturing out for sport alone or to bring home natural food for your favorite wild game recipe, Rough Creek Lodge & Resort provides both the means and the services to make your trip truly memorable.
After you’ve bagged your game and prepare to throw it on the grill, let us help to add some delectable flavor to your seasonal meal. One of our classic recipes prepared by Chef Gerard will turn your grilled Quail into an annual tradition with the family. This delicious rendition of a classic meal prepared by Chef Gerard was recently featured in Texas Monthly’s article “Ten of Texas’s Best Far-Flung Fine-Dining Establishments”.
The Recipe Is Prepared as Followed:
Grilled Quail with Sherry Maple Glaze
For the Marinade – Serves 8
- 8 ea Texas Quail
- 1 ea Lemon – zested
- 1 ea. Shallot – finely chopped
- 2 ea. Garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 T. Chopped fresh thyme
- ½ Cup Grapeseed oil
- Rough Creek Chili Seasoning
Add quail and Marinate for up to 4 hours. Remove from Marinade, season with salt and pepper. Grill over hot fire until cooked through
For the Glaze
- ½ cup 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Sherry vinegar
Reduce until syrup consistency
Poblano Pepper Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 1 Qt Water or Lite Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Homestead Grits Mills Stone Ground Grits
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl Unsalted Butter
- 2 Fresh Grilled Poblano Peppers (Diced & Seeded)
- ½ Cup Diced Tasso Ham
- ½ Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Heat Water or Chicken Broth. Season with salt, pepper and butter.
- Wisk in grits.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add Poblano peppers, Tasso Ham & cheddar cheese.
- Continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust with salt & pepper as needed.
Place Quail on plate & drizzle with a little of the glaze.